Thursday 8 March 2012

Monthly update(?)

Well, it's now been nearly four weeks since I gave up a regular income - it's frightening how quickly the weeks fly by!

Got a little behind with coursework early on in the term, ironically 'cos of leaving work.  I hadn't fully comprehended just how broad my involvement in the company / range of work was and it took longer to clear the decks than I'd imagined.  Not to mention spending at least a day just transferring supplier and client accounts/contacts to my colleagues.

And something else I hadn't factored in ... just how (temporarily) exhausting it can be ceasing to do something.  Realistically, for the past four weeks I've gained an additional 50-60 hours per week which previously I spent at work/travelling to and from my workplace - and yet it took until this week until I could benefit from/feel those extra hours ...

Now that I've 'rested' I need to focus on finding some form of work (before the money runs out completely!) - ideally in a practice, failing that it's back to trailing 'round the temping agencies.

Still, I can honestly say that my lovely now ex-colleagues ensured that I had a fantastic leaving do - excellent turnout, lovely comments (I honestly had no idea that I was so popular/well regarded - apparently I'm not the miserable, anti-social sod that I'd always assumed!), a truly stunning array of gifts (despite temptation, I'm determined never to add up quite how much that whip round, plus individual gifts, amounted to) - thank you all so much and for being so nice to work with over the years.  Apologies for those who suffered through being hugged more than once - you should've been quicker to leave!  And I'm not really a touchy-feely person ... I don't want the lurgy.

Anyway, definitely need to stop faffing about and undertake some serious job hunting from next week.  Apart from the financial aspect, the novelty of spending so much time at home is starting to wear off and frankly I could do with the stimulation of a new job.

Whilst it was gratifying to learn that apparently I'm a legend (in a good way - even from clients! - my time wasn't all about Christmas pizza events, whitewater rafting and resolutely flat-packed spiral staircases) in the Commissioning industry ... if not indeed the entire building services sector (maybe that's pushing it a bit) - sadly, I suspect that won't hold much water in the field of landscape architecture ...

Oh well, for all the engineers ... a combined services plan (sort of).

No comments:

Post a Comment