Tuesday 18 January 2011

Completely irrelevant

By chance I've just stumbled across a definition of my name in a version of the Oxford English Dictionary (circa however long ago it was that my mother last updated her own copy and 'handed down' her old one).

Like probably everyone else on the planet, I've looked up the definition before in books of names and it's usually along the lines of oath (or word) of God.  So far, so unexciting but according to the OED it means greyish yellow; no further explanation.  I now feel oddly subdued ...  and increasingly greyish yellow.  Thanks parents, insufficient research undertaken with that choice.

Still, could be worse, my elderly niece came close to being named Quenburga (my sister was keen) and her mother narrowly escaped the cruelty of Cordelia Cordwell.  Such is the harshness of life ...

No comments:

Post a Comment