Sunday 28 November 2010

Comparison park

Several weeks ago we were asked to research a park of a similar size to the one we were studying (Calverley Grounds, in my case) and compare them.

Calverley Grounds is approximately 11 acres in area with multiple slopes, whilst my comparison park, Coulsdon Memorial Ground (better known to most people as 'Marlpit Lane park') is 10 acres and generally slopes in one direction.  Despite the slight difference in areas, I chose this park as it seemed similar in many ways to Calverley Grounds (including the architectural style of its buildings).  It was originally part of the Byron estate (not to be confused with the later council estate of the same name!), was purchased by the local council in 1920 and opened to the public in 1921 as a living memorial to those who fell during the Great War.

The site of a former quarry, the topography is less dramatic than Calverley Grounds, rising no more than 7metres in height, although I remember it feeling like a long climb from the road to the tennis courts at the top (another locational similarity) on a hot summer's day.

Although this park wasn't my nearest park when growing up (ironically, that is 11acres but virtually flat with few features and mentally I just couldn't compare the space with Calverley Grounds), it was one I spent some time in during my teens.  Not the usual teenage fun(?) stuff but mainly during termtime, bunking off school and reading dreadful novels in the childrens' playground ... moving away to a convenient bench on the hillside when the rightful users of the space came to play.  Admittedly, this was just during the summer months - there are few less fun experiences than having to skulk around your local churchyard during the winter, in the snow, 'cos you've decided to stage your first real act of rebellion on day when your father's working from home and your brother's got a day off work!  Oddly enough, I didn't think that through properly, enjoy it much or even get away with it!  Remember: always ensure that you have sufficient (return) bus fare with you ... at least shops are generally warm.  Damn, I knew I'd end up posting up some rambling old nostalgic stuff here.

Anyway, one (lazy) image of Marlpit Lane park (still marginally rebellious), my concept diagram of it and a photo of Calverley Grounds.  Possibly the main similarities are simply in my mind ...

Calverley Grounds, Kent

Coulsdon Memorial Ground, Surrey
(aka Marlpit Lane park)

Coulsdon Memorial Ground: Concept Diagram

No comments:

Post a Comment